Sunday, January 18, 2009

OMG I live in Rome :)



It's crazy that I've already been in Rome for a week, time has flown by! I've been playing tourist almost everyday, trying to see as much as possible. Today a few of us went to one of Rome's biggest flea markets and it's right around the corner from our apartment. Apparently, you can usually find some pretty cool stuff, like weird antique things but we didn't see any. It was mostly clothes, shoes, bracelets, sun glasses etc. After that we headed across the river into the main part of the city to see the Colosseum. Along the way we saw tons of ruins; I couldn't figure out what they were (if they are even in my guidebook) but they were pretty awesome. The Colosseum blew me away. You walk down a normal street, lined with modern buildings and museums as well as statues and ruins and then in the distance you see it. It boggles my mind that some thing so old is still standing, it was completed in A.D 80...thats freakin old! At least once a day I stop to appreciate that I live in Rome, one of the oldest and historic cities in the world. Anyone who is thinking of going to Europe, you HAVE to come to Rome. You can literally find everything here, amazing sights, food, nightlife and it's really easy to get from place to place. I'm basically obsessed....

These last few days we have had great weather, sunny and "fresh" as claud would say, perfect for walking and sightseeing. Later in the week it's supposed to rain, booo, i'll probably take the tram to school. I hate walking in the rain.

Tomorrow I start classes :/ I'm excited to start feeling less like a tourist and more of a local by having a routine with classes and going to my favorite cafe's and markets but I don't want to study! A group of us are starting to plan our travels throughout Italy and Europe so I really hope my classes don't require a whole lot of work.

1 comment:

  1. i wouldn't be much worried:) i don't know how in Italy, but here in Czech nobody expects exchange students to study hard...even if they attend regular classes. moreover the system is a bit different from what i saw in you country - less workload, homework, readings etc. for home.
    you'll see. it would be a bummer to spend whole time in books...

    ReplyDelete