Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I'm finally here!!!

After months of anticipating my arrival, I'm finally in Rome! The plane ride wasn't too bad although I almost missed my connecting flight from Germany to Rome, which would have sucked big time! I found 2 of my roommates on my flight from SF so it was really nice not to be alone on my flights and navigating through the airports. It took a few hours to get on the shuttle the study abroad company provided and find each students' apartments (our company leases apartments from a few different buildings so we are a little spread out). Let me just say that people drive RIDICULOUS in Italy. There are virtually no traffic laws it seems, cars park wherever they want and pedestrians definitely do not have the right of way (It's day 1 and I almost got ran over haha). We watched a video at orientation that was really funny and so true about Italy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOo36FnSTqQ. Anyway, there are 6 of us total in my apartment which is completely furnished from Ikea; no joke it seriously looks like an Ikea showroom. Today was my first real day in Rome and my roommates and I were able to do some exploring around our neighborhood and sample some delicious Italian cuisine between our school orientations. It's definitely going to take a few more days to get familiar with the Trastevere neighborhood and walking to and from campus, but luckly we don't start classes until Monday so there is plenty of time to figure it out. So far I have met a bunch of really cool people who are just as eager as me to get out in the city and see everything as well as do a lot of weekend traveling to other countries. That's about it for day one, I'll write again in a few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment